Friday, November 11, 2016

Professor Who Accurately Predicted Trump Victory Accuses Media of Poll Bias

Breitbart reports:
Stony Brook University Professor of Political Science Helmut Norpoth returned to Breitbart News Daily on Friday morning, two weeks after standing by his prediction that most polls were wrong and Donald Trump was highly likely to win the presidential race. Professor Norpoth was feeling rather good about that prediction on Friday.

Norpoth also confirmed, in response to SiriusXM host Alex Marlow’s first question, that it is indeed awesome to have a name like “Helmut Norpoth” and to hear it repeated with such gratitude and appreciation.


“I’ve just gone through a ton of emails congratulating me, and saying how happy people were that I made that prediction, that when it looked pretty difficult that it would come true, I stuck to it. It made a lot of people happy. That makes me happy,” he said.

However, Norpoth said he was not receiving any apologies from the political analysts and media outlets that said he was crazy for predicting Trump’s victory.

“Nobody ever apologizes for these kinds of things,” he mused. “That’s just the name of the game. I don’t expect that. But I’m happy to get the congratulations, and I know deep down how they must feel, that they thought I was just ridiculous and absolutely wrong, I would fall on my face, etc. That’s good enough for me to know that.”

Norpoth said the 2016 election was “a new phenomenon,” and Trump was a candidate unlike any other in recent memory.

“I think the polls just totally misjudged the potential and the kind of support that he engendered, and he just fell through the cracks of how they poll people – how they wait, whatever they get from the polls, to make a sort of forecast of the electorate, and it was just so way off,” he said. “Any time I looked at a poll, at some of the fine print about the breakdowns to see what they were weighting, I always saw a very heavy Democratic preponderance, which I thought was way off, even bigger than in 2012. So I had a feeling right away that that wouldn’t be true, that we wouldn’t get an electorate that was just like that, and so I always figured that Trump’s chances were much better than these polls indicated.”
Going against the grain.