A second federal judge issued a restraining order Thursday blocking enforcement of one of the critical sections of President Trump’s revised travel ban, using Trump’s own comments against him in deciding the ban was likely to run afoul of the Constitution."Public statements" are now evidence in creepy Theodore D. Chuang's court.
The decision from U.S. District Judge Theodore D. Chuang in federal court in Maryland marks another win for challengers of the president’s executive order, which had been slated to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday. Earlier, a different federal judge in Hawaii stopped it.
Chuang’s order did not sweep as broadly as the one in Hawaii, but he similarly declared that even the revised travel ban was intended to discriminate against Muslims. He said those wanting evidence of anti-Muslim intent need look no further than what the president himself has said about it.
Chuang’s ruling won’t upend or call into question the decision in Hawaii, instead offering some measure of reinforcement.
“The history of public statements continues to provide a convincing case that the purpose of the Second Executive Order remains the realization of the long-envisioned Muslim ban,” Chuang wrote.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
The Washington Post reports:
Posted by Steve Bartin at 8:22 AM