Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Booker testifies against Sessions at confirmation hearing

The Hill reports:
Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) testified against Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) becoming attorney general in an unprecedented move Wednesday, saying he has to stand up for what his conscience tells him is best for the country.

"I know that some of my colleagues are unhappy that I’m breaking with Senate tradition to testify against the nomination of one of my colleagues," Booker said. "But I believe, like perhaps all of my colleagues, that in the choice between standing with Senate norms or standing up for what my conscience tells me is best for our country, I will always choose conscience and country."

Booker argued that Sessions has not proven he can uphold the responsibilities of an attorney general, namely ensuring equal rights for all Americans.

"Sen. Sessions has not demonstrated a commitment to a central requisite of the job to aggressively pursue the congressional mandate of civil rights, equal rights and justice for all of our citizens," Booker said.
Senator Booker starts his campaign for 2020.