Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Bharara accepts Trump’s offer to ‘stay on’ as US attorney

The New York Post reports:
Preet Bharara has agreed to “stay on” as Manhattan US attorney after President-elect Donald Trump offered him the job during a meeting Wednesday at Trump Tower in Midtown.

“We had a good meeting. I said I would absolutely consider staying on. I agreed to stay on. I have already spoken to Senator Sessions, who is, as you know, the nominee to be the attorney general. He also asked that I stay on, and so I expect that I will be continuing to work at the Southern District,” Bharara confirmed to a pool of reporters in the lobby following the 40-minute powwow.

“The president-elect asked, presumably because he’s a New Yorker and is aware of the great work that our office has done over the past seven years, asked to meet with me to discuss whether or not I’d be prepared to stay on as the United States attorney to do the work as we have done it, independently, without fear or favor for the last seven years,” Bharara said.


The meeting came on the one-year anniversary of Bharara’s winning a corruption conviction against former New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, suggesting that Bharara would attempt to pitch his successes to keep his job.
Continuity.