Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Ben Stein: The End of Free Speech in America.

Ben Stein reports:
Lunch with my pal, T., a man my age from South Carolina. He was with his son, a young man of 29, whose occupation is extremely unclear. I picked them up at the Beverly Hills Hotel after my 12 Step meeting. The son was obviously in some kind of funk and said barely a word as he slid into my ancient Cadillac. I had suggested La Scala, a formerly superb Italian restaurant in Beverly Hills. It has some outdoor seating and the day was fine, so it seemed like a good choice.

I parked my jalopy in a huge underground lot and we went to the sidewalk and walked towards the restaurant. As we three sidled along, a simply beautiful woman in a short skirt and a T shirt walked by on the other side of the street.

“That is a gorgeous girl,” said my friend, the 71-year-old retiree as he looked appreciatively at the woman, some fifty feet away, or so.

The son looked at his father in alarm, almost in shock. “Shhhh!,” he commanded. “You can’t talk like that. You can get us all in trouble.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked him. I was laughing, on the assumption that he was leading into some kind of joke.

“You can’t talk about women’s looks,” the son said sharply. “Haven’t you seen what happened to Trump? Besides, what are you going to do next? Use the n-word?”
No free speech for you.