Tuesday, August 30, 2011

1990 Obama Flashback: " I personally am interested in pushing a strong minority perspective. I'm fairly opinionated bout this."

The American Thinker unearths this 1990 New York Times flashback from Barack Obama on being elected President of the Harvard Law Review:
"The new president of the [Harvard Law School] Review is Barack Obama, a 28-year old graduate of Columbia University who spent four years heading a community development program for poor blacks on Chicago's South-Side before enrolling in law school.

‘The fact that I've been elected shows a lot of progress,' Mr. Obama said today in an interview. ‘It's encouraging. But it's important that stories like mine aren't used to say that everything is O.K. for blacks. You have to remember that for every one of me, there are hundreds or thousands of black students with at least equal talent who don't get a chance,' he said, alluding to poverty or growing up in a drug environment.

On his goals in his new post, Mr. Obama said, ‘I personally am interested in pushing a strong minority perspective. I'm fairly opinionated bout this. But as president of the law review, I have a limited role as only first among equals.'
Imagine that.