Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Pinch Confronted At Shareholder Meeting

Accuracy In Media Editor Cliff Kincaid recently asked Pinch Sulzberger some questions:
Kincaid: "Mr. Chairman. My name is Cliff Kincaid with Accuracy in Media. I will wait before getting into the praise and criticism I have of the paper's journalistic and editorial processes. But on the matter of business operations, this is a shareholders meeting, and I think it's about time that the company level with the shareholders about how much money was paid to Judith Miller in her controversial severance package. What is that figure?"

Times Chairman Arthur Sulzberger: "Mr. Kincaid, we actually don't discuss the specifics of any employee's salary or compensation or severance. But I do believe in the document you have put out [an AIM column] that I saw yesterday that you used the figure of $3 million."

Kincaid: "That's been reported."

Sulzberger: "And I want to assure you and the shareholders that this is appallingly wrong. Okay. That is not wrong by a small factor. That is wrong by a significant factor. Beyond that I'm not prepared to comment."
Then what's the number if there's nothing to hide? When Pinch says "we don't actually discuss the specifics of any employee's salary or compensation" of course this isn't true.The New York Times,being a NYSE listed firm,gives the SEC a list of insiders and their compensation.