Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Looking for love after 40

Women may rule when they are 18- 35 years old but after 40 things are much different.The Seattle Times reports on single mom Patty Bonnell:
"I'm in the over-40 category on Match.com, and none of the guys my age want to even look at me," says Bonnell. "They all want to date younger women. The only guys that want to look at me are in their 60s."

Men wanting to date younger women — could this shocking revelation be true?

"Ninety-nine percent of my clients are looking for women age 27 to 37," says Christine Stelmack, founder of Seattle-based 4M Multimillionaire Matchmaking Club. "No matter what their age is, they want to date a woman in that range."

These aren't just the rich trophy hunters. A random sampling of online dating sites (where incomes have the normal amount of zeroes) shows the same skewed story. A 45-year-old guy on Yahoo Personals wants someone who's 28 to 35. His 57-year-old counterpart on Webdate hopes to meet someone 45 to 55. And on Match.com, it's more of the same or worse: a 43-year-old guy in search of his 18- to 35-year-old soul mate.

"It's a bitter pill for most women," says Marla Prouty, a 50-year-old Seattle single. "The feeling is no matter what you do, it's not going to happen, so why bother? I was married until I was 41, and the dating scene was a shock to me. I remember feeling upset whenever I saw a man my age with a much younger woman. I'd think 'Hey, Hey, HEY! Look over here! What's wrong with you?' "
You might want to read the whole article.